Saturday, November 15, 2008

Don't Wait for the Brick

I'm sure you've heard or read about this email of how a young boy had to throw a brick to get the attention of a rich man driving his expensive car in order for someone to help him put his handicapped brother back into his wheelchair.

I've learned my lesson on this. A lot of things have happened in my life where I can only testify that it was God who was intervening and working. It's amazing how out of the blue a colleague or a friend will tell you something or start a discussion of something that is very relevant to your life at that moment... Something that you have been struggling with or worrying about...

Thank you Lord for speaking into our lives softly... As always, you work in mysterious yet humble ways... I pray that I can learn this kind of humility and listen carefully to your whispers. Don't let me wait for you to throw a brick at me. Amen.

So is the current financial crisis affecting the world a brick to get our attention?

Are the silent pleas of God for the world to change falling on deaf ears thus the crisis? Is the Lord putting the world to its knees with this crisis? This is what I have been wondering and musing about.

Interestingly, the greatly affected are the white collared jobs. People in the middle class. Often the ones who are apathetic about others for their lives are quite comfortable. Financial analysts say this is going to be a deep and prolonged recession. And that the labor market is a lagging indicator of the crisis. Job cuts and retrenchments would soon be seen all around the world but it would be a slow trend. It will not be all at once. This scares me in a way and leads me to be more prayerful. But I know God never leaves us. If God puts us through this economic crisis, He will help us get through it.

Maybe the Lord is telling us to go back to the Philippines... as with hoards of Filipino workers going back after losing their jobs. Maybe God is telling us not to abandon our country and to continue to have faith in the Philippines. Lots of maybes but God has an ultimate plan for everything. We just need to listen and pray more to feel his guidance and live in the way He wills for us.

1 comment:

Genevive said...

taas2 ni dah hihi unya nko read k lakaw sa mi basin mu close Ikea hehehe brb! :)